Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 45 minutes
Total Prep: 55 minutes
- 2 cups steel cut oats (not instant)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup walnuts or pecans (divided)
- 1/2 cup raisins or dates
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 12 teaspoons cinnamon
- 11/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 11/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 large eggs, well beaten
- 12 cups milk
- 11 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups chopped fruit – such as apples, peaches, pears, persimmons, apricots, blueberries, or bananas work well
Preheat the oven to 325°. Prepare a 9-inch baking dish by greasing the sides and bottom.
Spread the two cups of fruit evenly along the bottom of the baking dish.
In a medium bowl, mix the dry ingredients and 1/2 of the nuts together. Once mixed, add melted butter butter. Stir until ingredients are mixed well.
In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, and vanilla together until combined.
Combine dry ingredients with wet ingredients. Mix thoroughly.
Pour over the fruit in the baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining nuts over the top of the mixture.
Bake in 325° oven for 40-45 minutes until golden brown and the oatmeal is set.
Serve hot or let cool and refrigerate covered overnight. Reheat, covered with aluminum foil at 325°.